18 selections found.
This pretty little village is situated just above Pyrgi, on the east coast. Offers fantastic views out beyond the resort of Ipsos.
On the west coast of the island. Astonishing green beauty with amazing beaches and caves. At the top of the hill lies a male monastery dedicated to the Virgin, founded in 1225. Not far away, Angelokastro, is a Byzantine fortress, built on the summit of a steep crag.
The summer residence of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissy), in Gastouri. She named the mansion “Achilleion”, in honor of Achilles and his huge statue dominates the palace’s garden. Now functions as a museum.
Paleopolis, according to archeologists is where the center of the ancient city of Corfu used to be. There was the market, the Doric temple of Kardaki, the roman baths. Further out north, remains the Monument of Menekratis, a circular funerary monument with a conical roof, built around 600 BC. The inscription is one of the oldest in Greece. In the south of Paleopolis is the temple of Artemis Gorgous. Built in the early 6th century, when the island was under the sovereignty of Periander, tyrant of Corinth.
Inside a green park, this mansion, “Mon Repos”, was built in 1824, in order to be given to the British commanding officer. Later became the summer house of the Greek, ex-royal family. This house was the birthplace of the Queen of England’s consort, Prince Philip. Today it hosts the Paleopolis Museum.
A small island, covered with pine trees, home to Pantokrator Monastery (13th century). It was named after its shape:“ponticonisi” means “mouse island”! According to a legend it is the ship of Odysseus, turned into stone by Poseidon. On the tiny island on the foreground, is the convent of Panagia Vlahernon, linked to the mainland by a causeway. From here you can take a boat to Ponticonisi.